|Can I be appointed part time?|
|Members in any rank may be appointed to perform part-time service.|
Part-time members may not be appointed to full-time duty without their consent, nor vice-versa, but a part-time member who has previously been full-time may opt to return to full-time service.
Regulation 5 of Police Regulations 2003 provides details;
5.-(1) A chief officer may, after consultation with local representatives of the representative bodies, appoint persons to perform part-time service in any rank.
(2) In these Regulations a person appointed to perform part-time service includes a person appointed to share a job with another person.
(3) A person appointed to perform part-time service may not be appointed to serve as a full-time member without his consent.
(4) A person appointed to perform part-time service immediately after serving as a full-time member may give notice in writing of his intention to be re-appointed as a full-time member and shall be so appointed-
(a)within one month of the date the notice is received by the police authority, where the authority has a suitable vacancy, or
(b)except where sub-paragraph (a) applies, when 3 months have elapsed since the day the notice was received, or from an earlier date if reasonably practicable.
(5) A person serving as a full-time member of a police force may not be appointed to perform part-time service without his consent.
(6) In this regulation "full-time member" means a member appointed otherwise than under this regulation.
(7) In relation to persons appointed under this regulation to perform part-time service:
(a)regulation 12 has effect as if the words ", other than such a member who transferred to the force from another police force having completed the required period of probation therein," were omitted; and
(b)regulation 25 has effect as if-
(i)in paragraph (1) for all the words after "compensated in respect of time" there were substituted "spent on duty in excess of such period as the Secretary of State may determine"; and
(ii)paragraph (2) were omitted.
|Category: GENERAL, |